Thirsty Thirty-Something Thursday #25 – Macon

Perhaps when one thinks of Burgundian wine, Macon is not the first place that comes to mind! No, we more often than not think of the Mersaults or Chassagnes or Pulignys of Montrachet. Or the rich, powerful, über expensive red wines of Vosne-Romanée made from Pinot Noir. But Macon offers great value and quality, most notably, for their Chardonnay. With a combination of both stainless and oak fermentation, it creates a nice balanced wine that is not too buttery, but not the austere high acid wines of Chablis either.

maconMacon La Roche Vineuse from the Olivier Merlin Domaine is one such wine. La Roche Vineuse is actually a town on the edge of the Mâconnais, bordering Beaujolais. Careful selection of grapes are hand picked and gently pressed where 85% will go into stainless steel for fermentation and the remaining 15% will go into oak barrels. Slight battonage to add body as well as natural malolactic fermentation takes place, all to add body and mouth feel to the wine.

Nice exotic fruits on this with that slight dairy component, but not overly oaked, with just hints of vanilla, which is part of what makes this Chardonnay so appealing. And on the palate that great minerality and acidity due to the clay-limestone soils! A great little drink! On the shelf for $31.95. Santé!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Thirsty Thursday, wine and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Thirsty Thirty-Something Thursday #25 – Macon

  1. Love this blog! So informative! I’ve followed and hope you won’t mind a follow back for a fellow wine lover 😉
    https://lifeinlipstick.wordpress.com/2016/08/26/italian-toscana/

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s